OK, so I am not really in New York (thank you Jesus!) I am really here in my hometown, chilling like a villain and kicking it old school.
This weekend so far has been pretty eventful. On Friday I went to Salt Lake for a job interview with a trucking company as a grand pooba know it all admin/director/catch all person. It seems like an awesome position and the pay is fantastic. However, I would have to drive 45mins everyday and it is a pretty patriarchal business from all appearances. We all know how well that would gel with me. The first interview was pretty preliminary stuff with the corporate BS thrown in there. She commented that she would pass me on to the next level..so we will see.
Before the interview I got a call from a local company that I had interviewed with the week before about a position there. It seems like a very cool job also, lots of analysis for them, setting up their HR, pulling together orientations and presentations, managing some accounting functions, etc. He said the President/Owner was in town and wanted to meet with me, so could I come in. I told him sure and we set up a time for 3 pm. I had planned after my interview in Salt Lake, that I would go hang out with one of my oldest and dearest friends, Dr. J. Well, fifteen minutes after the interview, I was on my way. Like I said, it was very preliminary. The thought went through my mind "I drove all the way down here for this?"
When I got to Dr. J's house I was met by the dogs (two big, adorable, and sweet, but big labs), Dr. J and her new son "cracker". Her baby, besides my babies, is the light of my life. There is just something so special about your friends who you have known for 20+ years kids. She is as close as a sister to me as can be, so this whole experience is just amazing. Besides, it was very difficult for him to get here...a long and tough process for them, so he is a blessing beyond blessing. I was, therefore, perfectly content to hold him, smell him, and love on him for a few hours.
After I left Salt Lake I drove straight to this other company for the meeting with the owner and the GM, who I had interviewed with previously. Let me just say this as I do not like to blog about work/business related happenings. That was by far the strangest, but most refreshing business exchange I have ever been involved with. I was there for almost 2 hours, I talked with most of the people who are executives as they kept coming in and out of the office to talk to the owner. The owner is from Switzerland so his way of operating and handling issues is much different than the American way. Personally, I love it! Long story short, my face hurt from laughing and smiling so much and I was offered the job. Which I accepted and I start next week.
I was so thrilled as the job market is super-shitty right now and it was only my second interview. I am so excited about the opportunity with this company, so we will see if, in time, it is all I hope for. Besides, someone that I know applied for and interviewed for the job, but obviously did not get it. Considering how difficult this person made my life sometimes, I feel it was Karma. Man, she can be a bitch sometimes huh?
I had planned to go with my friend Eggiebaby to dinner and movie for her birthday, so I called her to make sure we were still on and apologize for being late. In her usual cool way, she did not give a shit. We decided on Olive Garden for dinner and then the movie Australia. I am always amazed at the patience of people to wait to eat at Olive Garden. Seriously, I think I have only eaten in the main area 2 or 3 times. That is usually because I am only with one other person and we eat at the bar. This night was no different. We had to ask some people to move down for two seats together, which the graciously did. However, and I kid you not here, all the other people who were sitting at the bar waiting for a table, as we were the only ones who had dinner there, were still waiting when we left. And they had all been there when we arrived! I cannot believe it, seriously. I have only been to a few places in my life where the food was that good...and Olive Garden is not it. Afterwards, we went to see Australia, which was outstanding. I am sure there are some people who thought it was too long or whatever. Granted, it felt like 3 hours, but it was sweeping, funny, and overall entertaining. It was not my favorite movie of all time and I would not own it, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
On Saturday morning we went to the preschool where my oldest went for a fundraiser breakfast with Santa. The cool part is that the Santa pictures were cheap, $3, and they are not copyrighted so I can duplicate at will. The bad part was waiting 30 minutes for barely cooked pancakes. Oh well, it was for a good cause. I also ran into Lisa (aka the Cool Chick) there, so that was awesome too. The rest of the day was pretty much spent napping, reading, or watching TV with the kids. The highlight of my day was a candy cane shake that D brought me from the local burger joint....awesome! The other hightlight was my husbands cousin Brian, who had moved to Idaho years ago, stopping by with his kids and hanging out chatting for a while. It really puts your own age in perspective when you are around people who you knew at 6 or 2 years old and they are talking about getting married, drinking, going to college, etc.
Tomorrow, my oldest is singing in church, D is working in the garage, Survivor ends...go Bob, I have a paper to write, and I am going to attempt Shrimp Fettuccine with a Gorgonzola cream sauce for dinner. If it does not kill us, it will make us stronger!
1 comment:
Damn woman! So many things to say with this one but I'll just leave it at one for now - Congrats on the new job!
Post a Comment