Christmas....ah, thank God that is over. This year was soo aggravating with the presents and the running around and the way too much on my plate. I felt like I needed about 10 more hours per day and about 3 more weeks to have things finished. As it was, in the end. I just let go and let God...which meant it turned out exactly as I needed it to. Without my knowing that at the time.
To start off, I was told I would be losing my job right around Halloween. Not a happy thought considering that I loved my job and it was perfect for me. So the prospect of finding a new one, on top of everything else that was needed to prepare for the holidays was overwhelming. So I spent a few weeks interviewing, working on my resume, scouring job postings, etc. In addition, I am getting my master's degree so have those classes, still have a job through the end of the year, bell choir and the monthly publication for my church, a husband and 2 children with needs. It was, therefore, with no remorse when I looked at the calendar for the holiday's and said "Holy shit...let's skip the damn thing!"
Usually I have presents bought well before Thanksgiving, this year we were still shopping on the 20th. Normally my Christmas cards and letter would be out the second week of December at the latest. This year they were sent out on the 22nd (some still need to go). Typically I have time to watch every movie in our collection with my daughter....3/15 on that one. We almost always go to look at the lights in the park downtown. This year we passed them briefly on our way to her performance and never made it back. I am so unbelievably disappointed with myself for my failings.
But then I remember. Christmas is not about all the stuff we got, or didn't get. It is not about the things that we did or did not get to do because they are tradition. And it is most definitely not about having the perfect Christmas...as no such thing exists.
Christmas, to me, means remembering that I am saved because of a baby born in a manger who gave his life so that I may live forever. It is about love, the ultimate love and sacrifice of one person for others.
Compared to that gift, everything else pales in comparison.
1 comment:
Amen.
Post a Comment