This was supposed to be posted on the 20th, but I am a little slow this week. Here it is now...my rant~
OK, so I am just a little pissed off today that a person like Lindsay Lohan thinks she is worthy of posing nude to mimic Marilyn Monroe. First off, she is about 60 - 70 pounds to thin. Marilyn wore a dress size of 12 - 14 when she died, Lohan is about a 4. To me that is just offensive that they need some skinny twerp to pose as her, and frankly it looks unattractive. I realize that I prefer the real Marilyn not just because of who she was and her soul, but also because she was curvy. Lindsay looks like she needs a double cheeseburger. Secondly, the only thing they have in common is the inability to control their addictions in public. I personally liked it when Anna Nicole Smith (another f-d up celebrity) posed as her in the Guess? ads...way sexier than Lindsay.
To me this perpetuates the low self image that women have and continue to have of themselves. The average models size is the same as about 2% of the total population, yet it is what young girls (and some grown women) believe that they have to strive for. I can tell you the average women is a size 10 - 12, if you don't believe me try to buy clothes that size and see how many are on the rack compared to a size 2. I am not saying that women should just be obese and not take care of themselves, being healthy is totally where it is at. However, as the parent of a daughter(s) the image that is out there as a model for my girls just scares me to death.
Utah has the highest number of plastic surgeries (mainly breast augmentation) and we also have the highest prescriptions for anti-depressants....coincidence? I don't think so. We are also gaining on the number 1 spot for meth use among women...wow, I am so proud.
Did you know that many years ago a study was done of men from hundreds of different cultures and they were all shown a silhouette of womens body types, no faces or anything. Overwhelmingly they all picked a curvy women, real hourglass figure type women. Think of the pictures from the Renaissance period for what that means. Why did they pick that? Because it is better for fertility and being a life partner, helping out, sturdy, etc.
So what am I saying? I guess I am saying that I am disgusted with what it seems the majority of people value as beautiful. I am sick of seeing it in the magazines, on the newstands, on TV as if it were something great. I am sick of people killing themselves with surgery, diets, etc. to attain some weight...only to then be miserable because their life is still not perfect. Yeah, no shit. Fix yourself first on the inside.
My new hero is Leonard Nimoy for creating a book like this because he is just as disgusted as I am. Kudos to Mr. Spock! http://www.rmichelson.com/Artist_Pages/Nimoy/pages/MaxBeaut.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment