Monday, February 25, 2008

Project Say Something

It was Shane's turn this week to come up with the question, and let's just say he is in a dark place. The question "This week I would like us each to prepare a 60-minute playlist of the music you would like played at your own funeral. Share your list of songs and tell us why you picked the songs you did."

The interesting thing about this is that I have already done this. (Who is the one in a dark place you ask?) I started thinking about this when I had to make funeral arrangements for two people that I loved dearly, something that is never easy but that you always want done right. To spare friends/family from having to deal with it for me, I made the arrangements myself. I am sure some would call this morbid, I call it realistic. Face it, you are going to die...at some point, you don't know when or how. Better be prepared and do one final thing for those that love you. So welcome, to my funeral.

Intro~ Classical Selections
Clair De Lune by Debussy - One of my all time favorite pieces.
Piano Concerto #21 by Mozart - Mozart is my favorite composer, this is one of the favorite pieces and most appropriate.

Hymn
In the Garden - In the top 3 of my favorite Hymns, it speaks to me on so many levels and brings me comfort every time I hear it.

Beatle Selection
In My Life - Well it is the Beatles so that is a given. But, this is really how I view it all, my life and what every person or experience has brought me.

Irish Selection
When Irish Eyes are Smiling - I am so proud of my Irish heritage and by including this I am getting the "wake" feeling that is important to me.

Hymn

Morning Has Broken - This was one of my grandmother's favorite hymns and I always loved it.

Video Montage Tribute
Photograph by Ringo Starr. (This is pictures of me, my kids, husband, family together...through my whole life set to the song Photograph. I have this done already and actually update it anytime I get a new picture that I like and want to add.) To know why it is included you really have to listen to it.

Irish Selection
Will You Go Lassie Go - Another Irish ditty. I like it because it is not overly sad and it talks of going home to Ireland.
She Was the Prize by Gaelic Storm - I really can not tell you why this song is included. Ok, can't is the wrong word, I won't tell you.

Beatle Selection
Golden Slumbers - "Golden Slumbers fill your eyes/smiles await you when you rise/sleep pretty darling do not cry/for I will sing a lullaby". What more is there to say?

Final Hymn
Amazing Grace - accompanied by bagpipes. Amazing Grace is my all time favorite hymn, and is traditionally played at funerals. The bagpipes are something I just love, and incorporate the Irish heritage again.

Recessional
Time to Say Goodbye - Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocielli. If you have not heard this, then maybe you live on another planet or this is just not your kind of music. Personally I love this song, it sinks into my bones and settles there the entire time I listen to it. It has moved me to tears before, both from joy and loss.

I am not sure if that is 60 minutes worth of music, but then, I would not expect the funeral to even last that long really. I will say that I want a huge wake after the funeral is over with friends and family gathering at someone's house, drinking, eating, laughing, reminiscing, etc. I feel strongly that it should be a celebration of life, there are enough days filled with grief.

I am going to take Shane's question one step further and say that I would like to be cremated. (I despise the open casket, I understand why people do it, but personally I can not stand it). The idea of being buried seems pointless to me. I would like some of my ashes buried in the plot I have next to my son, some buried with my husband, some dumped in the mountains, some dumped on the Green River, and some dumped in Ireland.

So, if you are in town and still alive, please do come. It will not be the traditional funeral, but it will be worth it, and hey, the beer will be
cold.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Very nicely laid out Amy. I personally have not had to do any deaths, so I am sure I have lots of fine tuning to with mine, I laid songs to played, not so much where and when. I to wish to be cremated. Vic and I joke because we are scheduled to share one plot, we are going to share the same ashtray. I hope to have the whole thing planned and paid for shortly, even if Vic doesn't want to.