Main Entry: fem·i·nismFunction: noun
Pronunciation: 'fe-m&-"ni-z&m1 : the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes 2 : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests
fem·i·nist/-nist/ noun or adjective
I read this post on a Feministing.Com, which is a site whose mission statement is "Young women are rarely given the opportunity to speak on their own behalf on issues that affect their lives and futures. Feministing provides a platform for us to comment, analyze and influence. " Now, I agree with this mission and I will say that I feel as women we have made tremendous progress in the past 100 years (thanks Mom!) and as I stated in a previous rant, I was influenced by many strong women while growing up (and a dad that fostered my sense of self), so I consider myself to be a feminist, however I have discovered while reading this site that their views and mine differ quite a bit on a lot of issues. Personally, I find nothing wrong with the fact that people (women) are being used in this way to draw attention for PETA. I would not care if they were doing it to NOT draw attention for a cause, but the fact that they are just makes it better.
I mean really, what is the big hang up with women posing nude? Who cares, or better yet, why do they care? To me if a woman is confident in herself and wants to pose nude, whether it be for art, a cause like PETA, or for Playboy/Hustler, etc., than more power to you sista! Granted, I get the point that PETA and sex/nakedness have nothing to do with each other, so the idea of using a naked person seems unnecessary. (But then, what do insurance and a talking Gecko have to do with each other?) I also have read many posts on this site that take the idea of Feminist too far in my opinion, or at least they see themselves differently as a feminist than I do.
I embrace the above definition and fully support activities that equalize the sexes and fight for women's rights. But, to me, feminism means raising my two daughters to respect themselves and others, to treat everyone as equals, regardless of sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, ability, etc., to be proud of their accomplishments and learn from their mistakes, to love their body for what it is and can do, to be honest, trusting, independent, faithful, kind, free spirited, devoted, loyal, to speak up for themselves and others, and to laugh at themselves. It does not mean criticizing men or attacking men or any of the other incidences of inequality that I have seen promoted on this site. My overall feeling when I read articles on this site is that it perpetuates the viewpoint that a lot of people have of feminists, and that is that they are "Femi-Nazis". It is therefore part of the problem, rather than the solution.
So as a feminist, here are my viewpoints on a few "hot topics" ~
1. Abortion - I am pro-choice, not in a "leave your hands of my body as it is solely my decision" kind of way. But in a, everyone should have the right to decide what is best for them in a given situation. Period.
2. Birth Control - See above comments.
3. Pay - Yes, women should be paid the same as men for doing the same work. The fact that we are not is a travesty.
4. Double Standards - It is stupid that a man can be assertive, while I woman is labeled a bitch. Or a man can be sensitive, while a woman is called weak. I abhor double standards and try to educate my girls about why it is wrong. But here is a double standard for you, why are a lot of play groups for kids called "mommy and me" or something similar? What about the men who stay home to raise their kids? Are they not faced with a double standard and being treated unfairly? Why are they called "Mr. Mom"?
5. Pornography - As long as no one is hurt, no children or animals are involved, and everyone is consenting, I do not care. Men look at it, women look at it, so what? Now I get all the "a person could become an addict/sex fiend/serial killer/ woman objectifier" argument. I also understand that it could benefit people who are having problems sexually in their relationships get past the issues and it can also help people feel more adequate sexually.
1 comment:
Amy,
As always I appreciate your thought-provoking, informative and insightful blog posts. I feel the urge to provide a little commentary which augments and may conflict (slightly) with your point of view.
I personally hate the fact that we as a society (or as the media portrays our society) are classified in extremes. If you are pro-choice you are automatically liberal, never-shave-your-armpits-hippy, pot-smoking, child-killer. If you are religious, you are automatically a simple-minded Jesus-freak who thinks eclipses happen because you had impure thoughts about the girl on the “Land-o-Lakes” butter package. But the truth of the matter is that most people reside somewhere in the middle.
I think this holds true for women in the workplace too. As you mention in your post, women are essentially hurting themselves by cannibalizing their own ranks. I know some women think ill of my wife because she WANTS to be a housewife and is PROUD of that. Isn’t feminism about letting women have the same choices and options available to men?! If you are being oppressed by a man who thinks your “place is in the home”. Or a woman who thinks “your place isn’t in the home” isn't it still oppression?
One last point… I’m increasingly offended by the portrayal of MEN in media targeted towards women. Watch commercials during daytime TV. If a man (particularly a husband) is portrayed in the commercial he’s a COMPLETE MORON who can’t accomplish even the most simple tasks. If the gender roles were reversed in these commercials there would be an outraged cry of sexism against women.
Oh yeah - and if you are a man who's not interested in sports, but instead enjoy the arts... You are automatically deemed "gay"; if you are or not.
Post a Comment