Friday, February 20, 2009

The Butcher, The Baker, The Candlestickmaker

The PSS question this week was my turn. I asked these three questions because a) I am curious as to what point everyone is at in evaluating their lives, or if they do. b) I am doing a sense of humor and ability to laugh at one's self check c) I want to know how your mind works. So this is what I asked "This is a three part question Essay, philosophy, and art. First the essay - write a letter to your 12 year old self based on your life experiences and knowledge you have now. What advice would you give?"

Dear Amy, Hey beautiful girl. Yeah, I know, you don't feel like that, but you are. You think that you are just a short awkward kid with glasses who is trying to find her way in this world. But you are not. This is just the start of some amazing life experiences and within one year your whole life and how you see the world and yourself will change. In 10 years you will not even recognize the girl you are now and in 20 years you will look at this 12 year old and smile at how great she is. I am not going to lie, you have some very tough times ahead of you and a lot of the time you will be left wondering why they happened and why to you. You have to trust that you will come through it, the good times and good days will outshine the dark days and you will find strength you never knew you possessed at your lowest moments. What I admire the most about you is the quiet strength, depth of character, and grace that you embody. There is a will and determination in your spirit that when channeled is untouchable. I know you do not see it, as you think of yourself as lazy, but it is there....discover it and use it. No doubt, the laziness is there too though!

You will grow from an unsure, shy, and introverted girl into a confident, shy, and less introverted woman. Learn to embrace and use your sexuality, it will serve you well. Keep up your college studies, you will regret it everyday if you quit. You are a very intelligent girl and not liking math should not stop you from your goals. You will have a person who loves you tear you down from time to time, learn to let it roll off you and take the high road. It may not seem like it, but it is really said with love, or at least a version of it. Everyone has their own history and this will impact how they interact with other people, the sooner you understand that it is their issue and not yours, the happier you will be. You will meet and work with several people who believe they are better than anyone else, that their lives are perfect, and that their shit don't stink. Realize that Karma is a bitch and what goes around comes around, fortunately you will be there to see it. That will be a great day.

Above all else I want you to enjoy your life. Sometimes you will be out of balance, but in true fashion you always find a way to correct it. There will come days when the clouds are too dark and the rain won't stop, but there is always sun the next day. Learn to breathe in life - breathe in and hold in your body all the sounds, sights, tastes, and experiences. Keep them deep inside you to pull out on those days when the tide is pulling you to sea. I love you little Amy. You are independent, smart, sassy, kind, brave, true, and mysterious. You are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Philosophy question in honor of Darwin- If a man evolved from apes and monkeys then why do we still have those animals around?

I understand this question, the science behind it is obvious. But to me, it is a funny question. Kind of like asking "If a man speaks and a woman is not around to hear him, is he still wrong?" I am a strong believer in evolution, believe it or not it is possible to belive in God and evolution. Anyway, for me the answer is simple, we still have apes and monkeys around to remind us how stupid and unevolved some members of our species are.























Art question - What piece of music, art, architecture best represents your view of yourself?

The music that best represents my view of myself is Gypsy from Lord of the Dance, Three Babies by Sinead O'Connor, and Bitch.
The architecture that best represents my view of myself is the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain. (Of course it would be a museum.)
And finally the art was overwhelming as there is a lot to choose from that represent how I feel...but this one embodies my belief in myself and the independent spirit that was nourished in me by my strong female role models.

No comments: