Other than having/raising children, what is one thing you can say you have done (or are doing) that will make the world a better place?
I think that the one thing that I am doing that will hopefully make the world a better place is running the non-profit Dylan's Friends/FightSMA Utah. Considering it was inspired by my son, I guess that I view having my children as the best thing in my life. Losing a child to a horrific disease is in no way an easy thing and is something that I would not wish on my worst enemy. However, I looked at the situation and decided that I had a choice. I could either just let his death happen and count it as a life experience, or I could do something positive with it. I decided to do something positive. So I joined the international group FightSMA, started my own chapter, and have raised over $6,000 for research in just my first year and a half. I am proud of that for sure, but I am more proud of being able to talk about it day after day with total strangers and educate them about the disease. Most people that I talked to had never heard of it, which is exactly how my husband and I felt when we were given the diagnosis. I just don't feel that anyone else should have to go through this. I can only hope that in my lifetime a cure can be found and in some way, no matter how small, I hope that we contribute to that. Below is a picture of my son and the reason that I do what I do.

1 comment:
This makes me proud to call you a friend.
Post a Comment