Thursday, February 28, 2008

Things that make you go huh?

I was very confused today to be confronted with one headline that said "Bush Says US Not Heading For Recession" only to then have a headline like this "Economy Slows to Near Crawl", right underneath it. Now, I will fess up. I am no Bush fan, never have been. But come on man! Do you really think that because you are the President and you say something, that we believe it is true? Just how stupid do you think the American public is? Not all of us are C students you know.

Anyone who does not think we are hitting a recesssion is fooling themselves, we are in it people! Writing is on the wall, if you can open your eyes to see it. The money that they are throwing at us to stimulate the economy (yeah, thank you for adding another $100+ billion to our national debt you wienie!), will be a short term fix at best. I predict that within a few weeks of us getting that money, the price of gas will rise dramatically. So, in the end who really gets the money? The oil companies, and who are they friends with? Yeah, thought so. Frankly, November could not get here soon enough for me. We will be lucky to make it through to then without getting involved in another war (can anyone say Iran?).

I am getting on the soap box now before I blow a fuse.

1 comment:

Tor said...

Hi Amy,

While I agree with you that thisguy is a weenie and I too can't wait until he's gone. However, it does actually matter what word he uses to describe the US economy.

If he (or worse, Ben Bernanke) actually said we were in a recession we really would be in one because people would act like we were. Economies are all about feeling.

I liken it to childhood games; think about pogs or marbles. If everyone agreed that the steelies were valuable then everyone wanted one and it's value relative to cat eyes went up. But if the popular kid suddenly took a liking to blackies then steelies lost value. Worse, if the popular kids decided marbles were not cool then the bottom fell out of the market.

It really isn't much different than this. So much of our economy is based on perceived value that feeling as huge effect on it.

Don't be surprised if GW doesn't drop the "R" word just as he leaves office, especially if he can blame the dems.