Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Want My MTV!

This week Monica asks "Think back to when MTV actually played music videos. Tell us about 3 of your favorite videos."

I was never that cool kid that had MTV growing up. My dad would not get cable as he did not want to put a "hole in the wall". Whatever. Thank God for friends, namely Devita, whose parents would put holes in walls (but strangely would lock up food and not let their kids make cookies on weekdays??). So because of her I got to experience all the joy that was MTV in those days. My three favorite MTV videos that I remember are:

1. Duran Duran - Save A Prayer My two best friends at the time, Stacy and Devita, and me were all in love with Duran Duran. Fortunately, we all lusted after a different man. The scenery in this video is awesome, the song rocks and oh my hell, did you see John Taylor wearing the fedora and playing the guitar with his shirt off?? (and we all also had fantasies involving that bed and those beaches, let me tell you)

2. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus. David Gahan; that hat, those clothes, the sunglasses, the bare chest, the boots, the subliminal message with the stallion in the background, the sensual rhythm of the guitar, the heavy breathing. There is also the whole, brothel/confessional thing going for it too. Reaching out and touching faith is not what I have in mind after watching it, but he made me a believer......OMFG! (Stripped
was a close second.....more innuendo and David Gahan dances! I dated several boys who had the Martin Gore/David Gahan hairstyles going for them and wore eyeliner on occasion. We had good times listening to their music. Martin and David fueled a lot of fire for me in my formative years and watching David dance is better than standing against the washing machine with an uneven load, if you know what I'm saying.)

****Cold shower interlude****

3. The Police - Every Breath You Take
. This song is seriously sexy and seriously possessive psychotic. But Sting, oh Sting ....how you move me. I have never wanted to be a musical instrument more than I do watching his fingers play the bass. There is also no denying that this is an incredible song, and this video is just beautifully filmed. A close second on this one is tie for Wicked Game and Faith by George Michael (check out that ass in those jeans!)

Videos that still make me laugh and at the same time make me so proud I was a "waver" Cruel Summer
, Karma Chameleon, Big In Japan, My Heart Goes Bang, Missionary Man, Come On Eileen, London Calling, Motion of Love, She Sells Sanctuary, Love Cats, etc.

Writing this post I come to the realization that music videos were my teenage/Early 20's pornography. I wonder if my mom knew? I mean, she had a fit about the whole Monster in my Pants song and she did not even know what She Bop was about until I told her years later.

No comments: