Today my dad told me that he had recently discovered that he is 1/8 Sioux Indian, which means that I am 1/16th. To me, this is pretty cool news. We always knew there was an ancestry of Native American Indian on his side, but had no real history on it. One of my very best friends growing up was a full Navajo and I loved her family, loved hearing about her history and life on the reservation in Arizona (even though, part of me felt oh so incredibly guilty. Not like I had any part in it, but I think it is just something that develops in our culture. Like feeling guilty for slavery). Anyway, I have always admired the different nations and appreciated their culture for its uniqueness.
So while I am not saying that I even have any claim to anything or understand at all what the nations or the Native American people have gone through (but now I am driven to learn more about it), I do think it would be cool to have a Native American name. D thinks I should be "She Who Sasses Too Much". I personally think it should be "The Most Incredible Woman on the Face of the Earth", but I will take this one instead NAHIMANA: Sioux name meaning "mystic."
No comments:
Post a Comment