Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Motherhood...a thankless job

This week I discovered the cold, hard truth of what being a wife and mother is really about. It is about getting up early to make your family breakfast before a road trip and having your 6 year old complain about every bit of it. It is about laying out your child's clothes, only to have them be the wrong ones. It is about freeing up your husband's evenings so that he can accomplish a multitude of tasks or things he wants to do, only to have that become the expectation. It is about doing something special for your family and getting no thanks or recognition for it. It is about feeling guilty for wanting an hour each evening to go for a walk or take quality time for myself. It is about being taken for granted and being neglected. It is about screaming at the top of your lungs "Am I the only one who knows how to change the damn toilet paper in this house?!" So mom, I have finally joined the club. I am so very sorry for taking you for granted all those years and never appreciating all you did for me. I TOTALLY get it now.

(And yes being a mom and wife is also about all the great, wonderful, awesome things that my family does for me and believe me I do feel very blessed for my kids and husband. I just want a fucking thank you and a date with my husband without my asking for it every now and then!)

No comments: