
2. Unknown - The Venus of Willendorf (she is thought to be a symbol of fertility and feminine beauty. Some would say that because she has no face, hands, or feet, that it is objectifying women. In my opinion, it was made by a woman for the glory of that which makes us incredible life forces. No matter why it was created, I have always found it beautiful).

3. Michelangelo's Pieta (This has always moved me in ways that I can hardly put in words. First there is Michelangelo's talent that was nothing short of miraculous. If you look, really look, it is as if the marble breathes. It is alive, a living stone if you will. Then there is what it represents - Mary holding Jesus after he died on the cross...I am overcome with emotion. His sacrifice, her sacrifice, the pain, the suffering, it is beyond description.)

4. Frank Lloyd Wright - Guggenheim Museum (Come on, be honest, how many of you thought some guy named Guggenheim did this? Come on, tell the truth).
5. Edward Hopper - Chop Suey (It is only in the past 5 years that I have come to love, deeply and truly love Edward Hopper. He is the greatest overlooked American painter in my opinion. Granted, some of his work is very well known, like this one. But for the most part, people may know his work, but do not know who did it. He captures melancholy, the light of the perfect time of day, the ordinary lives of everyday people, and human emotion better than almost anyone I have ever seen. And the color that he gets from his works, is vivid, and so true, that it hurts the eyes, but awakens the soul at the same time. I especially like this one because I am reminded of all my girlfriends and our conversations that I treasure.)


1 comment:
Two comments:
1) You inspire me.
2) I love you.
~Sharon
Post a Comment