Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Convention-itis

I went from being very absorbed with the Olympics to completely immersing myself in the Democratic Convention. I typically watch both conventions as it is a good way to really learn the issues that both candidates feel stongly about and it gives me a good sense of direction that the country would be heading (even though I did not see the current cluster coming from miles away, but who did? Ok, who did this badly? Thanks George!)

So I have spent the past few evenings watching most of the speeches (there are a few that I just have to use as a commercial break as PBS does not provide those normally) listening to pundits rehash every word, and yes, I will admit that at moments I have shed a tear or two. There have been some incredible speeches - Michelle, Ted Kennedy, Hillary, Mark Warner, Bill, John Kerry, and Biden all did wonderful. The Democrats point has been strongly made and I think everyone now knows the mantra for the next 3 months is not just "Yes We Can", but also "McCain is more of the same!"

I am very excited for tomorrow evening and Obama's speech. I know that he will do well, but I am curious as to whether or not he will focus on who he is as a person and allowing the public to get to know him on a more intimate level or if he will keep it more high level. He did a fantastic job of being less formal tonight with the "Rock the house" comment. I am also glad to see that the Hillaratics are finally getting with the program. I mean seriously, why would you vote for McCain because you are made that your candidate did not win the primaries? Their arguments just make no sense. However, both Hillary and Bill, in their impassioned speeches, did an effective job in my opinion of convincing everyone to join together. My favorite quotes have been "that's not a maverick, that's a sidekick" by Mark Warner on McCains voting record, "Keep Going" and "where you in it for me or for....." by Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton pointing out that he was that young and inexperienced, or so they said when he got the nomination, and finally Joe Biden with his Freudian "George McCain" slip.

What has suprised me is that there is all this talk about the bloggers being invited to attend and how that will be a great insight as to what is really going on, but I have not really seen the importance of it yet. (No offense Jason and Craig). I think that it is really because I want more, but the blogging sites are not updated as quickly as I want, so instead of going to my trusty political blogger sources, I end up using the media outlets. Now you bloggers were the change I could believe in, so can you update your blog more frequently and not spend your time drinking cappucino's..."Yes You Can"! (Ammendment - I am not going to cut The Side Track guys slack because they slept in late and well, frankly, I have it on good authority that they are lazy. But thank you J.M. Bell for finally getting some great blogs up about the convention, it is awesome!)

No comments: