There is a show on WE network that I have stumbled across a few times called Platinum Weddings. The whole point to this show seems to be to put very wealthy people who spend over $200K on a wedding on camera to show how great they are, how lovely their wedding is, and to basically make everyone else feel like shit about their own wedding. Personally, I loved our wedding. We made it unique in some ways, managed to make mothers happy, and put on a really good party for all our friends and family who came. When I watch this show and see that the brides ring cost $30K, the dress (sometimes 1 of 3 custom gowns) is about $6K, and then the cost of the food for 650 guests $90K, the entertainment flown in from NYC that is $150K, the horse drawn carriage with a specific type of horse, the crystals everywhere, the jewels for the bride, and on, and on, I want to seriously throw up. That is such a waste. Granted, it is the most important day of your life together, but what are you saying when you spend that much money proving it to the world? Who are you doing it for? I totally understand that these people are wealthy and can afford to do it. What I don't understand is why it is more important for them to spend the money on that, rather than trying to help humanity. Think how many homeless people that money could have helped, how many people it could have feed, how many houses could it have built, how many diseases could it have helped find a cure for?
I will get off my soap box for I understand, as my wise friend John once told me "you can not force your morals or values upon other people and determine their actions by your rules". Instead I will just not support that station or show. Small and insignicant, but important just the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment