Saturday, September 6, 2008

What I See...

So, after having watched both the DNC and the RNC I can safely say that I am utterly and completely in support of Barack Obama and Joe Biden for President.

I think that Heather put the reasons much more eloquently than I can. But I do have a few thoughts to add.

- The "Country First" signs that everyone was waving imply that the Republicans believe that the US should be first, above everyone else. Our country is a part of this world, we are a part of something so much larger than ourselves. We should act like it. As we have not for the past eight years. I agree that our country should be first in our minds and hearts, but not at the cost of ours, or other countries, freedom.

- It is ironic that the back of the signs said "Service" and yet they ridiculed Obama for his years of Community Organizing, which is service.

- I agree that Palin's teenage daughter should not be subjected to intense media scrutiny, but Palins views of abstinence only, no sex education in schools, and pro-life should now be topic of conversation. As many others have said, by deciding to keep the baby her family was free to make a choice. A choice that she would then take away from the rest of us with her strict and conservative stance.

- The media coverage has been intense for the days after Palin was announced and rightly so. She came out of no where, which means that all of us are going to be curious about her, her views, her record, etc. They act like it is unfair bias and that Obama should be placed under the same microscope. Newsflash, he was. For the past 19 months. Do you not know about all the lies and rumors? Did you not see the magazine cover?

- The "drill baby drill" chant was disgusting. I don't have the words to explain how dirty that made me feel hearing and watching it.

The last point I have to make is not an original thought of mine (but I wish it was). A woman called into NPR on Friday and criticized the Republicans for calling themselves Christian, while criticizing and belittling Obama's record as a Community Organizer. Her point was that Jesus Christ was a Community Organizer. And Pontius Pilate? Well, he was a governor.

No comments: