Saturday, November 22, 2008

For Whom the Bell Tolls

I joined the bell choir at my church and am still not sure why. My minister asked me back in the summer if I would do it and for some unknown reason I said yes. I used to play the violin when I was in the 5th grade, so at some point in my life I had to have been able to read music. Unfortunately, I have lost that skill completely. I made my mom go through the music book and write the notes I have to play underneath the notes so I know when it is my turn and which hand I should be ringing!

My minister keeps saying that I will learn to read in time, I have my doubts. For one thing, the songs go by way too fast that if I try to do that I end up about 3 measures behind. I finally told him last week that he can either have me sight reading and playing or he can have me reading the letters for the notes and it actually sounding good. For now he is picking the letters on my sheet music.


Tomorrow is our first performance in church and I am pretty nervous. One song I play in quite a bit, but the pace of it always throws me off. It says "reverently" on the top of the sheet, somehow in my brain that translates to slow and I end up getting lost. I just hope that I do not screw up big time tomorrow. We are also supposed to start learning Christmas songs so we can play those several places throughout the holiday season. For now I am having fun learning it, but I will be surprised if I get asked back next year! That is the bad thing about a volunteer bell choir...you never know the lack of talent you will get.

No comments: