Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hope Realized

I wanted to write this post 2 days ago after watching the election returns and learning that my candidate, MY president had won. But it seemed that it took me so long to move on beyond the enormity of what had happened. This was such a long process, 22 months of campaigning, debates, emotional highs and lows. The whole election day I had a knot in my stomach. Not just from excitement about the possibility, but from apprehension that the polls were wrong. That somehow America would make the wrong choice. But then, driving home from a meeting in Syracuse I heard John McCain on NPR giving a very gracious, heartfelt, and moving concession speech. My spirits soared! Hallelujah I screamed and clapped my hands, as tears of joy streamed down my face. We did it, America did it! We proved that we could evolve, that we could move beyond the color of a person’s skin and instead choose to be inspired by the man inside.

I will never forget watching the speech he gave that evening as I sat on the couch with my baby in my arms. I looked at her and thanked God that her world she is growing up in is better than the one she was born in to. I know that the road ahead is not going to be easy for him. I expect him to make mistakes and to have missteps, but I also know that he will face those with the same grace, poise, and tenacity that he has shown throughout the last 2 years.

Here are a few of my favorite lines from that historic speech:


“So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility, where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other.”

“To those -- to those who would tear the world down: We will defeat you. To those who seek peace and security: We support you. And to all those who have wondered if America's beacon still burns as bright: Tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity and unyielding hope.

That's the true genius of America: that America can change. Our union can be perfected. What we've already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow.”

“America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves -- if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made?

This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment.

This is our time, to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth, that, out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope. And where we are met with cynicism and doubts and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes, we can.”

I have always been proud to be an American. I was raised by a father who served as a Green Beret in Vietnam, so I know what it means to sacrifice for country and to honor those who have made sacrifices. While he and I do not always agree politically, I am so very proud of his military service. Similarly I am proud of John McCain. I do believe that he is a hero, that he has served this country well as a Senator and I do feel that he would have made a good President. But, he was not the President that we needed at the this moment in history. It is possible that he could have won, but there was too much stacked against him with the economy, bad advice from his campaign, and a horrible decision for his running mate. I did lose respect for him through the last 2 months because of the overall tone of the campaign and the road he chose to go down in an attempt to win at all costs. This is not the John McCain that most people know.

I am glad that this process is over and am so hopeful for the future. I still have my fears, but the silver lining is clearly visible now.

No comments: