I don't know where to start with my comments on last nights debate. I really felt that Joe did a great job of showing that he is own man, but that he supports Obama and that they hold to the same principles. Some have said that he did not mention Obama enough, I felt that he did just fine and that Palin mentioned McCain too much. You know, I get the fact that people like her because she is "folksy" and from the outside, but she is too "folksy" for me. And the winking and smiling....further proof that the SNL skit of the Couric interview was dead on. I felt most of the time that she did not answer the questions, or if she did it was so jumbled with all those extra, unnecessary words that I could not understand her, and I was glad to see Biden call her out on that a good portion of the time. She just has a difficult time with specifics, specifically.
My favorite Biden moment, besides the part where he choked up which was so moving, was this quote ~
"BIDEN: Now, with regard to the -- to the health care plan, you know, it's with one hand you giveth, the other you take it. You know how Barack Obama -- excuse me, do you know how John McCain pays for his $5,000 tax credit you're going to get, a family will get?
He taxes as income every one of you out there, every one of you listening who has a health care plan through your employer. That's how he raises $3.6 trillion, on your -- taxing your health care benefit to give you a $5,000 plan, which his Web site points out will go straight to the insurance company.
And then you're going to have to replace a $12,000 -- that's the average cost of the plan you get through your employer -- it costs $12,000. You're going to have to pay -- replace a $12,000 plan, because 20 million of you are going to be dropped. Twenty million of you will be dropped.
So you're going to have to place -- replace a $12,000 plan with a $5,000 check you just give to the insurance company. I call that the "Ultimate Bridge to Nowhere."
Favorite Palin moment that shows that she really has no grasp, believes that she can have more power than she really does (scary, scary), and that she is a lap dog to McCain ~
"IFILL: Everybody gets extra credit tonight. We're going to move on to the next question. Governor, you said in July that someone would have to explain to you exactly what it is the vice president does every day. You, senator, said, you would not be vice president under any circumstances. Now maybe this was just what was going on at the time. But tell us now, looking forward, what it is you think the vice presidency is worth now.
PALIN: In my comment there, it was a lame attempt at a joke and yours was a lame attempt at a joke, too, I guess, because nobody got it. Of course we know what a vice president does.
BIDEN: They didn't get yours or mine? Which one didn't they get?
PALIN: No, no. Of course, we know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and will take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are. John McCain and I have had good conversations about where I would lead with his agenda. That is energy independence in America and reform of government over all, and then working with families of children with special needs. That's near and dear to my heart also. In those arenas, John McCain has already tapped me and said, that's where I want you, I want you to lead. I said, I can't wait to get and there go to work with you."
So final thought, it was not an overall victory for Biden, but he did perform better in my opinion. She held her own (mostly) and stayed on topic (Maverick, Maverick, Maverick).
No comments:
Post a Comment