Shane asks us to write a letter of apology to someone we have wronged in the past. I had to think about this as I am usually pretty good about apologizing for my behavior, I think because I have to do it often enough! However, there are two instances that stick out in my mind that I would like to apologize for, but never got the chance. One is for a friend that I wronged and it ruined our friendship, the other is a complete stranger.
Dear Wendee,
I am so sorry for causing you to lose your job a week earlier than you wanted to. I realized that I was the salon manager and you were unhappy working for the owners, but I should have kept your confidence rather than tell them you were leaving in a week. It was difficult because I had to make it about business and not personal, but to you it was very personal as he fired you that afternoon. While it all worked out and you were able to start at the new place right away, our relationship was ruined. To you I had betrayed you by telling the owner that you were leaving and to me, I was just doing my job as the manager by letting him know what was going on. I can see that it was a mistake as in reality, I was not happy there either and our friendship was important to me. So I am sorry. I hope that your new job worked out and that you are happy in your life now. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for betraying your trust.
Dear Stranger,
I am so very sorry that I did not move over for you, your wife, and your disabled granddaughter at the movie theatre. I honestly did not realize at the time why you needed those seats and was more focused on the fact that the theatre was nearly empty and I had a fussy child with me. I should have just moved over for you and given you the room. You chastised me for it, rightly so, and I left the movie in shame before it was even over. I hope it will comfort you to know that I have never done something like that again and I now understand, more than I ever wanted to, why sitting in that row was important to you and how difficult it is for you to have taken your granddaughter out, let alone run into a rude person at the movies who was unwilling to move over one seat. Therefore, I am very, very sorry and I hope that you have forgiven me for my rudeness.
No comments:
Post a Comment