So Sunday (the 19th) was it and it was not bad, not bad at all. I tuned 36 this year, which seems amazing to me as I still feel like I am a kid. Some people still treat me that way, but that is another story. I am one of those people who love my birthday, it never fazes me to get older, nor do I worry about that. In my mind, getting older is better than the alternative and it is the one day of the year that is all about you, so why would you not like it? This year was even better as it was the first birthday in a few years that the weather allowed me to take a walk…without a parka! You never know here with the middle of October what you are going to get weather-wise. Amy-Gras started with dinner Friday night at Olive Garden, the highlight of which was lecturing Missy G in a bathroom stall about her bad behavior and how dare she even think to ruin my damn birthday! Whew, after that, another glass of wine, and some ice cream from Baskin & Robbins things were fine. Saturday was spent going to the last soccer game for the season, where Missy G’s team got their butts kicked by the Green Frogs! It was such a slaughter that I lost track of the score. All I know is that she had fun, which is really all that mattered. The day culminated with the Children’s Discovery Museum, new shirts from the Gap for Missy G, and dinner out at our favorite Chinese restaurant. On Sunday Missy G performed at church with the kids bell choir and choir, Feisty Spice was baptized and it was lovely. Then the church had an Oktoberfest potluck, complete with brats and beer! (God, I love being a Presbyterian!) Next week our church is celebrating Reformation Sunday, or as the Catholics call it “Heretics Day”. So we commemorate when our church broke away from the Catholic faith, and since Presbyterians are Scottish by origin we have bagpipes, kilts, haggis, and shortbread….woohoo!
Anyway, I digress. For the remainder of my Birthday I went for a lovely walk down at the River Parkway, D just let me relax and he made dinner (Salmon, rice pilaf, and steamed broccoli), then my friends and family came over for strawberry cheesecake and presents. I got a few awesome things – a gift card to the spa, a can of “Obamaccino”, a very cute tiny tea pot that I saw at the museum this summer and really wanted (way to go mom!), the move Fargo on DVD, John Mellencamps new CD, a Stephen King novel and comic edition of Dark Tower, a gift card to Chillis and babysitting from my sister-in-law, jellybellies, and an IHome stereo for our living room. On Monday for another birthday present my mom took me to dinner in Salt Lake City at one of my favorite restaurants – Bambara. We then walked over to watch David Sedaris at Abravanel Hall. It was an absolutely hysterical show and I have not laughed that hard in ages. If you have not read any of his essays, I recommend that you do. That pretty much concluded AmyGras..other than I have a date with my husband still to cash in and a girls night out with my friend, so this could go on a while longer. This coming Saturday we are having Missy G’s birthday party with her friends and then the family party later that night. It should prove interesting, if not damaging to my delicate psyche.
No comments:
Post a Comment